Introduction to Auto Radar Simulation
Significant innovation is taking place in automotive industry around capabilities for advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS). Radar sensors operating at millimeter wave bands are a key technology and require new modeling and simulation tools to predict their performance in driving environments.
- Simulation of radar in realistic automotive scenarios poses several challenges:
- Near-field conditions that invalidate traditional RCS concepts
- Densely-faceted vehicle models are too complex for traditional propagation ray-tracers
- Complex multipath from roadside structures (guard rails, signs, parked vehicles, etc.)
- Dynamic scenarios with multiple vehicles in motion
This presentation demonstrates a new modeling and simulation capability that addresses these challenges, combining ray-tracing and scattering simulations from Remcom’s WaveFarer with chirp Doppler analysis algorithms to assess radar performance for drive scenario simulations.